Wall Street Journey
By Susan Wineberg
A Lower Town family's modest home solved the century-old search for a county historical museum. On Sunday, June 10, 1990 an early-morning jogger along the Huron River looked up in astonishment as he ran along the boardwalk beneath the Broadway bridge. There on the bridge, blotting out Detroit Edison's Argo substation beyond, loomed a white frame house. It was mounted on wheels and being pulled along by a snorting dump truck. More than 150 years after it was built, 1015 Wall Street was on the move.
By the 1890's, Charles G. Greiner, a gardener, was living in the house with members of his family. Mrs. Greiner is pictured here with her six daughters and the dog. The inside of the door leading to the attic has penciled on it: "Louise Greiner, Lillie, Mabel, Laura, Frieda, Ella, Pa G., Ma G., wrote this June 7, 1901." It appears that the house remained in the care of the Greiner children for most of the next century.
MoMS on the Move - From the Rooftop
The Museum on Main Street is located in a historic house, built in sections from 1835-39, that used to stand at 1015 Wall Street in Ann Arbor. In June of1990, it was moved past the remaining original homes and buildings of Lowertown, over the Broadway Bridge up Beakes Street to its current home at 500 N. Main Street. Special thanks to Priceless Preservation of Ann Arbor for digitizing these fragile VHS tapes. If you want to see the shorter version "End of the Journey" click here