The building that now houses the Washtenaw County Historical Society's Museum on Main Street (MOMs) was once a private residence at 1015 Wall Street, in the section of Ann Arbor across the Huron River known as "Lower Town." It is a rare survivor of the first decades of life in Ann Arbor.
The house was built by members of the Kellogg and Ethan Warden families (Warden's wife was a Kellogg), pioneers from Cayuga County, New York. The house was constructed in various stages in the 1830s, the last being in 1839 when the patriarch of the family, the Honorable Charles Kellogg, moved to Ann Arbor. The Kelloggs had been millers and merchants in New York and ran similar businesses here. It was moved across the Broadway Bridge in June of 1990 to the corner lot where three streets meet in downtown Ann Arbor.
Today, it serves as a museum of county life with rotating exhibits featuring artifacts from the collection. And It’s time for some TLC – tender loving care – at this historic house. The Museum will be closed to the public during the Winter for painting and repairs. Read more…
It's Time to Apply for the $500 Pauline Walters Memorial Award
Support the Work of Preserving Local History with a Membership or Donation
The Washtenaw County Historical Society was founded on December 17, 1857, when 19 citizens of Ann Arbor called for "a county convention for the purpose of forming a County Historical Association" to be composed of anyone from the townships who cared to attend. 165 years later, the WCHS exists to educate and inspire our community to engage in the preservation and presentation of area history. We invite you to join!
THE Rock - at Washtenaw and Hill
Historic footage of mining and transporting "The Rock" in WPA era Ann Arbor. Eli Gallup, Ann Arbor's Superintendant of Parks from the 1920s through early 1960s appears in the footage, overseeing the work. Narrated by Eli's son, Al Gallup.
Women on the Warpath" B-24 Liberator
In January of 1940, the Roosevelt administration asked Ford Motor Company to manufacture components for the B-24 Liberator bomber. It happened in Washtenaw County at Willow Run.
A Walk with Wystan in Forest Hill Cemetery
Wystan Stevens conducting Forest Hills Cemetery Tours, which he gave for over 30 years.
Ypsilanti Water Tower A short documentary by Eastern Michigan University students gives a great history.
Washtenaw County Historical Society
PO Box 3336
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
The Museum on Main Street
500 N. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Open Saturdays & Sundays
12 Noon - 4 pm
Ann Arbor, Michigan, circa 1910. "Michigan Central railroad station." 8x10 inch dry plate glass negative, Detroit Publishing Company (loc.gov)